Please place your containers at your regularly designated spot no earlier than Tuesday evening; our trucks will begin collecting early Wednesday morning.
Trash and Recycling collection will be delayed until THURSDAY if there is a holiday on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
PLACEMENT OF CONTAINERS FOR COLLECTION
Please continue placing trash and recycling items in their respective containers just as you have been. Recycle the same materials as usual.
Each household is allowed one bulk item each week; these include individual pieces of furniture, carpet, a mattress, or a box spring (separately, not both the same week).
Appliances need to be treated as scrap metal by each household, and hauled to any scrap yard in the area.
ALL ELECTRONIC WASTE
TVs, computers, and small appliances are to be taken to the Dauphin County Recycling Center, conveniently located at the north end of Steelton on Front Street (Rt. 230).
YARD WASTE will be collected on TRASH DAY
Please tie clippings and wood waste into bundles no longer than 4 feet and no heavier than 40 pounds.
Yard Waste is not counted as trash.
NEW TRASH AND RECYCLING CONTAINERS COMING SOON, FREE OF CHARGE
Please request the size trash cart you want:
- 35-Gallon cart (holds 2 bags): 39.2” tall x 20.2” wide x 22.98” deep
- 65-Gallon cart (holds 4 bags): 40.58” tall x 26.7” wide x 28.11” deep
- 95-Gallon cart (holds 5 bags) 45.13” tall x 28.5” wide x 33.73” deep
Please note the width of each of the units if you must contend with a narrow doorway or alley. If you prefer the 35-gallon size, you are allowed two of them.
Your new recycling container will be one of the 35-gallon carts with a bright blue lid.
If these sizes of cart are not suitable, we will do all we can to accommodate your needs.
SEE THE DIFFERENT SIZES OF CARTS AT THE STEELTON MUNICIPAL BUILDING DURING BUSINESS HOURS
If you have your own trash account, you are entitled to new containers!
PLEASE LET US KNOW WHICH CART YOU WOULD LIKE
CONTACT Harrisburg Public works with this email address: email@example.com or telephone us at 717-695-9716 Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
If you have questions or complaints, do not hesitate.
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us at 717-695-9716 Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
RECYCLING and TRASH Guide
RECYCLE THESE : (Please rinse all food containers)
- Glass Bottles and Jars (no mirrors, light bulbs, window glass, auto glass, etc.)
- Cartons: milk, wine, soup, juice boxes (please rinse and crush, remove straws)
- Plastic Bottles—please remove lids, caps
- Plastic food containers, labeled with numbers 1 through 7
- Yogurt, cottage cheese, margarine tubs
- Aluminum cans and bottles (please crush to make more room)
- Tin cans (please rinse)
- Cardboard boxes (please remove all packaging material that is not paper)
- Newspaper/magazines/telephone books
- Office Paper: copier paper (any color), envelopes
Please put shredded paper in the trash.
PLEASE THROW THESE IN THE TRASH:
- All GLASS that is not bottles and jars
- Ceramics (china, mugs, clay pots)
- Food waste and all food wrappers, plastic and paper.
- Any paper or plastic that is wet or stained with food.
- Paper packaging: cereal boxes
- Advertising mail
- Tissue paper (napkins, paper towels, etc.)
- Shipping or padded envelopes
- Shredded paper
- All plastic packaging material (foam peanuts, bubble wrap)
- Wax-coated cardboard (usually bulk food packaging)
- Old Aluminum foil
- Clothing hangers (offer these to your drycleaner)
- Plastic tableware–knives, forks and spoons
- Paper or plastic plates, bowls and cups
- Light bulbs of all types
- Christmas lights, extension cords
- Garden hoses
- Plastic bags—these can go in the trash, but most area grocery stores have recycling bins for clean, dry plastic bags